Thursday, October 29, 2009

boeuf bourguignon and burned crab rangoon.

i already made the boeuf bourguignon, and felt very much like amy adams in julie & julia as i did so...mainly because i shattered my pyrex casserole dish, causing a near meltdown. i loved that casserole. but i wasn't about to let that shattered dish keep me down! no no! a casserole dish couldn't defeat me!

so i started over. this time i used a skillet for the stove-top work. it worked much better, though i do wish i had a cast-iron casserole dish. i think i will have to search out a salvation army. at any rate, around 2 in the morning i had finally and successfully made boeuf bourguignon! i felt like such a success. and then by 1 o'clock the next afternoon, it was gone. we loved it so much that we ate nearly all of it that night. i was supposed to bring some to a friend who had helped me to shatter the pyrex dish, but i was too selfish, and decided to eat it all with my husband instead. julia child, you were an amazing woman.

now tonight, i am very content with my burned crab rangoon. i am running out the door soon to study, and somehow i feel so fulfilled by the thought. studying isn't a chore to me. i enjoy it once again, which is a great relief and a giant "a-ha!" to the last two years of my life, when i thought studying was similar in experience to dying. or at least, i was sure that it must be.

i think of my great-grandmother a lot while i'm cooking. would she have done it this way? i'm not sure. probably not. she was brilliant in the kitchen. every little thing she concocted tasted absolutely amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment